The vitality and health of brain decides many important factors. This is the reason that fitness for your brain is extremely important. Various kinds of cognitive abilities, analytical functions, senses, memory, concentration, focus etc are handled by the brain. With improper and impaired functioning of the brain, all the associated activities will be hampered. Whether you are a student, a professional or a home maker, you have to be mentally sharp and alert and use your brains as per the situation demands.
Memory – an important part of brain activity
Among all kinds of brain activities, memory occupies an important place for sure. With aging and other related factors, people tend to lose memory and start forgetting things. The human brain has an amazing quality of adapting to changes and when it is for betterment, it shows amazing results for sure. This is the reason that with proper channelized efforts, the brain can boost memory and better learning capabilities to a great extent. There are many natural and effective ways in which memory can be boosted in individuals via exercises and other means.
Effective and useful tips for boosting memory in individuals
Read on to find out about some of the most useful and effective tips so that you have great memory, concentration and focus:
- Physical exercise is very important – Many people question the connection between physical exercise and better memory. As per experts, it is definitely possible to increase memory through physical exercise. Physical exercises help in keeping the brain sharp and fit. The best thing that helps with exercising is that oxygen reaches to every cell of the brain improving memory, concentration and other cognitive abilities. It also helps in reducing brain disorders, which might lead to memory loss, cardiovascular diseases and so on. Effects of useful brain chemicals are also enhanced with exercises along with reducing stress hormones. Aerobic exercises in particular are great for the brain.
- Stress management is very important – You might not be aware of the fact that stress can be killing for brain activities, particularly for memory. Chronic stress leads to damage of brain cells and various brain functionalities get hampered. Major damage is inflicted on the hippocampus, which is responsible for new memory formation and retrieving old memories. Various studies have also found that stress can lead to memory loss. There are many ways of combating stress in the most effective manner and hence memory functions can be boosted.
- Getting proper sleep is mandatory for great memory and overall brain functioning – Getting sound sleep is important for optimal functioning of the mind and the body. Adults need to get 8-9 hours of solid sleep every night to remain physically and mentally fit. With sleep deprivation, all important brain functions like memory, problem solving abilities, creativity, critical thought processes etc take a backseat. Sleep is a critical factor for good memory and better learning. Memory consolidation is enhanced significantly with proper sound sleep in any individual. Follow a regular sleep schedule and your body and mind will adapt the same quickly. Also refrain from drinking caffeinated drinks before sleeping.
- Follow a brain-boosting diet – Like the body, the brain also needs fuel for proper and adequate functioning. When we eat, we think that only the body gets nutrition through the same. Along with the body, the brain also needs nutrition and this helps in improving memory and cognitive abilities greatly. Right from boosting brainpower, the diet helps in fighting problems like memory loss and dementia. Some ingredients that should be added in the brain boosting diet include sources of omega-3 fatty acids, fruits and green vegetables as they abound in minerals, vitamins and antioxidants, green tea etc. drinking wine in moderation is also great for brain health.
- Indulging in brain powering games and activities – Another way to increase physical memory of the brain is by indulging in various kinds of brain powering activities and games. Choose games, where you have to use your brain in the best manner. Some of these include puzzle games, riddles, crosswords, word games, memory games, arithmetic games, brain training games etc. It is even better if you play the games with friends so that there is a healthy competition. This will keep you on the edge as you would want to win the game and this will boost brain functioning and memory significantly.
Try including these things in life and see how the brain functionalities improve over time.