Most of the men are affected by the hair loss/baldness due to genetic cause is known as the Androgenic alopecia. The recent data on medical service revealed this fact that around 60% of total world population faces, the hair loss/baldness problem at some point in their lifetime. The problem of loss in terms of receding hairline, thinning of hair, and disappear of hair from the frontal, top, and crown area is very common that presents the sign of baldness in men, whereas extreme thinning of hair as well as the widening gap between the partition in women. However, the hair loss must be addressed on time with the proper pre-transplant consultation followed by the scalp assessment.
There are two techniques prevalent in the hair transplant world, namely, the FUT hair transplant & the FUE hair transplant. The technique-involvement in the hair transplant treatment is facilitated by the process of hair root/graft extraction that is needed to be implanted on the present bald area of the scalp. The scientist, researchers and Surgeons are continuously giving the effort to know the fact, reason, and treatment in order to achieve the best outcomes of the procedure. Therefore, the idea and their reasoning have come into the picture, that why FUE hair transplant is not recommended for the genetic baldness and FUT is preferred in almost all cases of the baldness. Before going to describe anything, it is very important to know the technical details that help us to know about their strength and limitations.
What is FUT Hair Transplants & Why is it recommended in almost all cases of the Baldness?
The FUT hair transplant or follicular unit transplant is also known as the strip harvesting technique involves the strip excision from the safe donor area, usually, the back & sides of the scalp and provides us a number of follicular units/graft for the purpose of implantation. The harvesting in the FUT is done by a simple linear excision, which is later closed by the advanced closing technique of the Trichophytic closure. The excised strip is sent to the dissection process where each graft is separated from the supportive tissue and collects them vitally active/live in the planning of implantation. The root is kept in the saline water in order to protect them from desiccation. At the step of implantation, the hair roots are planted in the recipient bald area of the scalp.
Why is FUT a better decision for the Hair Transplantation?
- The Graft is extracted from the Permanent Zone: The most important aspect of the FUT hair transplant that it is taken from the safe donor area of the scalp, which has resistivity character to the effect of the DHT (Di-Hydro Testosterone) that causes severe hair loss/baldness. The safe donor area is the back & sides of the scalp that contains the permanent hair roots that neither fall out nor show the miniaturization.
- This is a feasible technique for a higher grade of baldness: Since the strip harvesting provides a number of grafts via the strip excision are all sufficient for covering the higher grade of baldness. So, it is highly recommended in case of the genetic baldness.
- There is the quite possibility of High–density Hair Transplants: The FUT technique offers the higher number of grafts as the possibility of damage is very less due to the extraction technique that allows a Surgeon to collect a bulk number of grafts from a single strip. So. It is quite possible to achieve a higher number of grafts to fulfill the high-density need.
What is FUE and why is it Not recommended for in Hereditary/Genetic Baldness?
The FUE technique or follicular unit extraction is the process of single hair root extraction in a single time via the punching process that gives us a limited number of grafts for the implantation. The multiple punching that is required to achieve the needed number of grafts decrease the donor area capacity as well as causes the multiple scars after the extraction process. It is also known as the blind technique because the hair root extraction is freed from the exact idea of the hair root’s angle and direction presents a cause for damaging the roots as well.
Why is FUE not a feasible technique for the Genetic baldness/Androgenic alopecia?
- There is the possibility of getting the temporary hair roots more predominantly resulting from multiple punching processes that compels a surgeon to target the unsafe area also
- It is allowed when a patient is under age or doesn’t possess the eligibility criteria for receiving the FUT hair transplant
- FUE is a suitable technique for the body hair transplant
- It is allowed when the NW-baldness grade is very less, i.e., NW-II or III.
On the whole, we can say that the technique applied in the hair transplant procedure is a comprehensive task that must be decided only by the operating Surgeon followed by the pre-procedure consultation that allows a Surgeon to know about the causes, status and degree of hair loss or baldness.