White beans are the protein rich vegetable, loaded with minerals, vitamins, and the best source of the dietary fiber. By adding them in your diet it offers you a wide range of the health benefits like promoting the digestive health & preventing heart disease. The white beans are squared and large at the edges, not like smaller beans, like navy beans.
Among humans, kidney beans can:
- Help to burn fat reserves [R]
- Act as the weight loss drugs
- Reduce sugar & insulin spikes after the meals
- Suppress appetite
Besides, white beans have lectin phytohaemagglutinin and very high amounts of the phytohemagglutinin are quite toxic to humans, decrease concentrations will have the appetite-suppressing effects. For all these reasons, white bean extract gets sold under various brands as the weight loss supplement. Main white bean extract supplements include:
- Beanblock, combination of α-amylase blocker & phytohemagglutinin
- Phase 2 (known as the Phaseolamin 2250, Starch Lite and Starch Neutralize), α-amylase blocker
Main active compounds included in white bean extract are:
- Phytohemagglutinin: The lectin binds to the receptors on intestinal lining & suppresses appetite just by influencing release of some hormones
- α-Amylase blocker: Referred as phaseolamin, the lectin acts as the carbohydrate blocker just by preventing binding of the starch to enzyme, which breaks this down. It means that lesser carbohydrates will be absorbed in your body.
Carbohydrates get digested by enzymes found in pancreas and saliva. Plants have developed many amylase blockers as their defense mechanisms against mammals and insects feeding on them. So, α-amylase found in the white beans, is active against the human α-amylases. And this fat and carb inhibitor will bind to α-amylase enzyme & prevents access of starch. Thus, starch can’t get degraded and lesser sugars get absorbed by intestines.
Factors that will influence activity of the blocker are:
- Time: The blocking activity is achieved after ten to forty minutes. But, over 120 minutes are required if pH isn’t optimal.
- pH level: The activity is highest in acid conditions.
Other active compound in white beans, phytohemagglutinin, generally binds to inner surface of small intestine. It triggers release of hormones that enhance satiety and prevents production of hormone causing hunger and suppressing appetite.
Benefits of White Bean Extract
Because commercial kidney bean extracts had very low amylase blocker activity, concentrate was developed. This broke down α-amylases from small intestine and mouth and reduced intestinal amylase activity & starch digestion.